How to configure Samba Server share on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to configure basic Samba server to share user home directories as well as provide read-write anonymous access to selected directory. There are myriads of possible other Samba configurations, however the aim of this guide is to get you started with some basics which can be later expanded to implement more features to suit your needs.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-configure-samba-server-share-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Scott Downey

I still dont see any windows shares in file manager?
Other PC can see shares. Not this ubuntu 18.04
LRWIN7-PC is a win7 pc with shares

scott@scott-MS-7596:~$ smbclient -L localhost
WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated

Enter WORKGROUP\scott’s password:

Sharename Type Comment

print$ Disk Printer Drivers
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (scott-MS-7596 server (Samba, Ubuntu))

Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.

Server Comment

Workgroup Master

WORKGROUP LRWIN7-PC
    scott@scott-MS-7596:~$ sudo systemctl status smbd
    ● smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; enabled; vendor preset: ena
    Active: active (running) since Thu 2018-03-15 20:27:49 EDT; 1min 24s ago
    Docs: man:smbd(8)
    man:samba(7)
    man:smb.conf(5)
    Main PID: 28667 (smbd)
    Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
    CGroup: /system.slice/smbd.service
    ├─28667 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
    ├─28670 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
    ├─28671 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group
    └─28672 /usr/sbin/smbd --foreground --no-process-group

Mar 15 20:27:49 scott-MS-7596 systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
Mar 15 20:27:49 scott-MS-7596 systemd[1]: Started Samba SMB Daemon.
Mar 15 20:28:43 scott-MS-7596 smbd[29773]: pam_unix(samba:session): session clos
lines 1-18/18 (END)

I was able to get ubuntu to view windows 7 shares by putting this in global section,

client min protocol = NT1
client max protocol = SMB3

Then use nautilus FM to connect to server using IP address, it still wont browse the network

Well, last night the ubuntu devs upgraded many samba packages, and now my prior config changes no longer work.

I think this is my guide nr: 10 and cant get in to my share. On this guide a get the error of to many user try to login to my samba share. Soon I give up and install a graphic desktop on my linux server :slight_smile:

What else if anything would be needed for this to relate to Mac OS Mojave? Both Linux PC and iMac on same network, i.e. connected to same router via ethernet cable.

Thank you for a clear concise guide, worked a treat