How to create desktop shortcut launcher on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to show how to create desktop shortcut launcher on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver using the default GNOME user interface.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-desktop-shortcut-launcher-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Summers

Wow who knew creating a simple shortcut could be so complex. Are you suggesting we have to remember all those lines of code just in case we want to create a shortcut? Or we will have to google and search for it every single time we have the need?

Or better yet have to install this weird application designed for it.

Two bad solutions in my opinion.

I would think that we might be able to find shortcut examples somewhere in Ubuntu 18 already and go from there?

Ray54 -> Summers

Launchers are really very similar to Windows desktop shortcuts. There is no obvious reason why the Gnome desktop makes them so hard to create and use. A long time ago, under Gnome 2, they were easier to create as the tool was built-in. It should work like Windows where you right click on an executable file and select make desktop shortcut (make launcher and install launcher into dash under Ubuntu).

it seems impossible that when an executable program, not installed but only copied to / usr / share (using Sudo of course) you can not, by right clicking, block the icon produced by the activated program in the launcher, but I am very ignorant on linux and surroundings. it’s all afternoon I try to solve the problem: so far I managed to put the * .desktop on the desktop (like any windowsXP icon) but not in the area of the launcher