How to Install Docker On Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver - LinuxConfig.org

Docker has revolutionized how web applications are hosted and servers are run. Docker containers allow server administrators to compartmentalize their applications like virtual machines, but containers are much lighter weight, are easier to manager, and add less overhead. Installing Docker on Ubuntu is very simple. Because Ubuntu is a popular choice for the cloud, the entire process has been streamlined to a science.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-docker-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver

ltdev22

I’m having 18.06.0-ce-dev installed. How can I uninstall it, and install the stable version instead now that is released? I have tried to run sudo apt-get remove docker docker-engine docker.io as per documentation, but I get this

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree 
Reading state information... Done
Package 'docker-engine' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'docker' is not installed, so not removed
Package 'docker.io' is not installed, so not removed
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 7 not to upgrade.

Ulises Layera

Not only this helped me by making it work, but also helped me to understand what’s going on.

Stable didn’t worked for me on May 24, 2018.

Thanks.

David Drager

Hello,
Any one else is having problems adding Docker’s GPG key ? I’m running on virtual box Ubuntu 18.04
Thanks,
Dave

ltdev22

Thank you, I have followed the steps from “Install Docker from the Official Docker Repository” section and works - I copied the nightly repository. When I run the $docker --version I get this output: Docker version 18.06.0-ce-dev, build 0e0adf0. I assume this is not a stable version, correct? Can’t I use the latest stable instead? Also you mention that latest stable is not available yet, but can I replace the current one with the stable one when this is out, and if so how to do it?

Milan Divković

Warning can now safely be removed

Lubos Rendek Mod -> Milan Divković

thanks for the notification. Stable docker version is not yet available but warning message removed.

Sada Kubsad

It worked! Thanks Nick for putting this together.

Nikolay

Hi, tried your tutorial, but it still doesn’t find docker “E: Package ‘docker-ce’ has no installation candidate”.

The repository is not available for 18.04.
E: The repository ‘Index of linux/ubuntu/ bionic Release’ does not have a Release file.

It looks like the article just tries to be up-to-date and posted it kind of in advance

Lubos Rendek Mod -> Nikolay

I think you skipped some text. Especially the warning part!:slight_smile:

Nikolay → Lubos Rendek

No, I didn’t miss anything, when I run sudo apt-get update. I see that there are no releases for version 18.04 yet.

E: The repository ‘https://download.docker.com/ bionic Release’ does not have a Release file.

That is why I think the fake article was just written for users which will switch to 18.04 and will end up on this article in the future, but currently there is no release for 18.04.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.

V. Adad -> Nikolay

Yes you did.

“WARNING: As of now, Bionic is not supported by this
repository. Make sure it is at the time you do this. If not, Artful can
work as a temporary substitute hence replace the above bionic keyword with artful. Next, you need to add Docker’s GPG key.”

Lubos Rendek Mod -> V. Adad

Thanks…I just gave up…:slight_smile:

Wolfgang -> Lubos Rendek

Might be better to put the warning above the line people will get wrong?
So that they might read it first, when following the instructions step by step?

Rorschach -> Wolfgang

That would be too logical…

Hsiao-Ting Wang -> Rorschach

For now (20180507), nightly is workable for bionic.
Edge & Stable are not available.

I needed to add current user to docker group also sudo usermod -a -G docker $USER