How to install Gnome Shell Extensions on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install Gnome Shell Extensions on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux. The following page lists top 10 Best Gnome desktop extensions for Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux.

Ubuntu 18.04 release comes with some extensions as part of its package repository. These extensions can be installed by execution of the following linux command: $ sudo apt install gnome-shell-extensions
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-gnome-shell-extensions-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Hi all,
I’ve been trying to install gnome extensions on Ubuntu 18.04, but I keep getting this error message: “Although GNOME Shell integration extension is running, native host connector is not detected. Refer documentation for instructions about installing connector.” Installing chrome-gnome-shell is supposed to take care of this error, but for some reason it does not work for me. Any idea what’s going on here?

Thank you for your help,
Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Is this with firefox browser? Have you tried log out from your gnome session and login again if that helps?

Lubos

Hi,
It happens on both firefox and chrome. I tried rebooting my computer multiple times, but it still does not work. I also tried removing the packages and reinstalling them, but that did not help either. I’m not really sure what to do at this point. :confused:

Are you using fresh Ubuntu 18.04 install or is it upgraded version from 16.04 or 17.10?

It is a fresh install. I might have installed weird stuff that could be conflicting with the right packages though I guess…
Thanks for helping out!

I don’t know if that helps, but if I try to install some gnome extension (weather) via the ubuntu software center, and then try to access it via gnome tweaks, I get the following error:

TypeError: GWeather.Location.new_world is not a function

Stack trace:
_ @/home/joachim/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/weather-extension@xeked.com/prefs.js:100:10_
_ getExtensionPrefsModule@resource:///org/gnome/shell/extensionPrefs/main.js:75:13
_ wrapper@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/legacy.js:82:22
_ selectExtension@resource:///org/gnome/shell/extensionPrefs/main.js:90:31
_ onCommandLine@resource:///org/gnome/shell/extensionPrefs/main.js:243:17
_ main@resource:///org/gnome/shell/extensionPrefs/main.js:397:5_
_ @:1:43_

Does that make sense to anyone? Note that I also tried to uninstall the chrome-gnome-shell package and do the manual installation using cmake, but I get the same results in the end.

Have you tried to install gnome extensions manually following: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-gnome-shell-extensions-from-zip-file-using-command-line-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

This may perhaps shed some light on your current problems…