How to install ImageMagick 7 on Ubuntu 18.04 Linux - LinuxConfig.org

Author Lubos Rendek Ubuntu 18.04 06 June 2018

Objective

The objective is to install ImageMagick 7 on Ubuntu 18.04 Linux.

Operating System and Software Versions

• Operating System: - Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux
  • Software: - ImageMagick 7.0.7-38 or higher

Requirements

Privileged access to your Ubuntu System as root or via sudo command is required.

Difficulty

EASY

Conventions

• # - requires given linux commands to be executed with root privileges either directly as a root user or by use of sudo command
  • $ - given linux commands to be executed as a regular non-privileged user

Instructions

In this article we will be compiling and installing the latest ImageMagick 7 on Ubuntu 18.04 Linux from source code. Firstly, we will install all compilation dependencies, followed by ImageMagick's source code compilation and subsequent installation.

Lastly, we will perform a check to see whether ImageMagick was installed correctly.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-imagemagick-7-on-ubuntu-18-04-linux

How to uninstall imagemagick 7. I am not able to use purge command.

This is the only documentation that worked for me. You saved my day.

For .heif or .heic files, more work is required. For example, compiling libheif from source first. See ImageMagick/ImageMagick issue 1534 on GitHub (I’m not allowed to post a link).

Will you add steps for that?

I may be getting old, but I had the Ubuntu package installed, and I also downloaded the tarball and it came with GNU autoconf, as in “./configure ; make ; make install” and neither has an ImageMagick binary that I can find. It used to come with one, is it now only a suite of libraries?

Thank you! These instructions also worked great for Ubuntu 18.04 running in WSL 2.

Thanks for your tutorial. Even though I could successfully install imagemagick, I had not solved the following issue.

$ juputer notebook
libpng warning:iCCP:known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning:iCCP:known incorrect sRGB profile

The warning indicated that the imagemick could not solve the the issue that jupyter notebook encountered.

My system environments are listed as follows
Nvidia Jetson Nano AI Machine
Aarch64
Ubuntu 18.04

Afterwards, I tried to uninstall imagemagick with the commands as follows.

sudo apt remove --purge imagemagick sudo apt-get autoremove

However, I could find imagemagick with the command of “$ identify -version” but could not found it by the command of “sudo-show-versions -p imagemagick”.

$ identify -version
Version: ImageMagick 7.0.9-27 Q16 aarch64 2020-03-01…

$ sudo-show-versions -p imagemagick
p: not installed

While I used the command “apt-show-versions”, I found out the following imagemagick message.

$ apt-show-versions
imagemagick-6-common:all/bionic-security 8:6.9.7.4+dfsg-16ubuntu6.8 uptodate
imagemagick-6.q16:arm64/bionic-security 8:6.9.7.4+dfsg-16ubuntu6.8 uptodate

What’ wrong with the uninstallation of imagemagick?

Appreciate your response in advance,

Mike

Can you tell us little bit more about what is the:

$ juputer notebook

supposed to be/do?

From what I understand there is a real possibility that there is nothing wrong with your Imagemagick installation but rather the input image you feed the ImageMagick with may be corrupted.

Have you tried the imagemagick’s mogrify tool to remove the invalid iCCP chunk from your input image. Example:

$ mogrify my-image.png

Once done re-try your initial process.

what the hell is this tutorial? why not just “sudo apt-get install imagemagick”?? :thinking::thinking::thinking: