How to install KDE plasma desktop on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install KDE plasma desktop as an alternative desktop environment on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Desktop/Server Linux.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

How do I remove the old, unneeded GNOME-files after the the installation? I could not find a tutorial on that, could you provide one?

I wanted to try KDE plasma desktop but I’m not convinced. Main problem is because it’s not working correctly on my 2nd screen. Probably because the two screens aren’t identical and the plasma desktop isn’t able fix this. On one screen it’s working good but it’s a lot slower.

So I want to go back to the normal 20.04 Focal Fossa desktop. Is it possible to uninstall it?

I followed the steps and installed the desktop environment correctly but I want to remove the desktop.
How can I remove the KDE Plasma Desktop or Kubuntu desktop completely from my system?

I tried the following command:

sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop

but still while booting the computer it is showing the Kubuntu logo at boot time.
What should I do to completely remove the Kubuntu Desktop?

Hi Hrithik_Pawar,

Welcome to our forums.

After removing kubuntu-desktop with apt, while you still see the logo at boot time, you don’t have the ability to use it anymore, only the logo remains, am I right? Or are you able to pick it from the gdm chooser?

Hello, sandmann,
I am experiencing both the conditions Logo also remains at boot time and I am still able to pick it from gdm chooser.
My PC is also slowing down after installing the desktop environment.

Does the remove command finish without errors? From your description it seems like it does not do anything.