How to install Mate desktop on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install Mate desktop environment as an alternative desktop environment. See also our article: The 8 Best Ubuntu Desktop Environments (18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux) for more desktop environment choices.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-mate-desktop-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux TRANSFERRED FROM LINUXCONFIG DISQUS COMMENTS:

zhaarteth

$ sudo tasksel install ubuntu-mate-desktop
xserver-xorg install
tasksel: apt-get failed (100)

Lubos Rendek -> zhaarteth
executing:

$ sudo apt update

should fix this issue

zhaarteth -> Lubos Rendek
Yeah, tried that. Ended up just using apt to install instead of tasksel.

Lubos Rendek -> zhaarteth
I’m unable to replicate your tasksel: apt-get failed (100). Tasksel works normally for me. Anyway, thanks for reporting this issue…

Aprie Sastra
Thx its works for me

Xamanek Martinez -> Lubos Rendek
the issue appears to be caused by autoupdates running in the background, you either wait for them to complete or reboot and fire up a terminal and execute “sudo tasksel install ubuntu-mate-desktop” asap.

1 Like

I got the same error message as the OP, and can confirm that reboot and then quickly try again works perfectly. Thanks

Hi, I followed the instructions to install the Mate desktop but never saw the lightdm screens you show so couldn’t choose to boot to Mate rather than standard desktop. When I boot it shows the Mate logo but continues as before. What command do I need to find this choice and invoke it so as to boot to Mate environment?

Cheers

@Tommo: You have to select the Mate desktop option during login. Click the small gear button besides the Sign In button and you will see the list of available environments.

Hi Aditya_T,

Welcome to our forums.

You can revert to the default display manager, Gnome, by opening the terminal and typing:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

And select ok on the first notice page, then choose the gdm3 from the menu as default display manager.
The easiest way to apply the changes is reboot.

I tried

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm3

But it does not uninstall Mate. Also when ever system shuts down Mate logo is visible.

Can I completely remove Mate desktop environment from Ubuntu 18.04

Hi AgarwlGaurav,

Welcome to our forums.

You can remove the Mate desktop environment with apt:

# apt-get remove ubuntu-mate-desktop

At least that is the package name on a recently updated 18.04.2 LTS.