How to Install the Latest AMD Drivers on Debian 10 Buster - LinuxConfig.org

Even though the AMD drivers are open source, they still depend on closed binary firmware. Therefore, AMD drivers won't work by default on a Debian system. Installing them is fairly simple, though, and so is installing key software like Vulkan.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-amd-drivers-on-debian-10-buster
1 Like

I wish there was a way to quadruple star this page and put it at the top of the google search results. I switched all the pc’s in my house to Debian Buster in December of last year and ever since then my system has been plagued with lockups. I kinda knew it was a driver or a hardware issue. It didn’t happen often enough to make me want to go back to Windows 10, but knowing the Linux reputation for rock solid stability, I was extremely disappointed. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my hardware and I was considering buying a new system.

One of the issues with Linux is that it can be extremely difficult to find good information on exactly what packages are necessary and/or important to install, especially when it comes to drivers. Dependencies don’t always provide all the packages they should, and if you install all the recommends you can end up with a severely bloated system. It turned out that I was missing a couple of important driver related packages and this page was the first page I found that told me exactly which packages I needed to install for my hardware.

Since I followed the instructions on this page I haven’t experienced a single lockup and I am finally enjoying that legendary Linux stability. I knew it wasn’t #fakenews because I had actually run a server on Debian back in the early 2000’s and it was rock solid stable. Anyway, thank you very much for producing and maintaining this page and I hope other people who need this information can find it.

2 Likes

Thank you for your extremely positive feedback. Sometimes it is a good idea to search for a specific distribution codename. For example, instead of searching for “debian amd driver” you could try “debian buster amd driver”. Just a tip!:smiley:

In any case feel free to use our forum to get in touch and ask for additional help.

Lubos

1 Like

A big part of the issue was that I didn’t know what questions to ask, because I didn’t know what the problem was. I did a lot of searches along the lines of “Linux lockups amd”, and such. When I first built this computer it was a bugger to get stable, because my particular mobo doesn’t like having it’s ram maxxed out, which I did. It’s also overclocked. So I wondered if perhaps Linux was showing up stability issues that weren’t evident on Windows because Windows is so inherently unstable.

I honestly don’t know what the exact search was that brought me to this page but it may well have been along the lines of what you suggested. I can’t even remember what exactly it was I was looking for at the time. All I know is that the page tweaked my curiosity and I checked to make sure I had all the packages you list installed. I’m extremely happy I did that. 11 days now without a lockup. I think that’s either a record since I switched to Linux in December, or close to it.

I also know that when I first built my system I put a ton of effort into the overclocking and making sure it was rock solid stable. So the idea that it still wasn’t stable was pretty discouraging. But of course, whenever you experience stability issues, and you overclock, that’s the easy answer, no matter how much effort you’ve put into it.

What I am going to look into is seeing how I can get a note to developers to make them aware that perhaps they need to add some packages to their dependency lists for those drivers, because what I have experienced certainly gives me the opinion that those packages should be dependencies, and not just recommends, if they were even that.

Thank You very much for helping me out with this driver issue.

I have an old hp dv6 laptop (4c/8G/ssd) with dual amd graphics, and I believe this resolves the issue with Intel+Amd dual graphics too. Problem is that without right drivers (Win10 or Linux) the laptop runs very hot, and I mean unusable HOT.
I followed Your instructions and now I have very usable LT for my raspberry/programming projects, with modern and safe OS inside.

Thank You

PS You can add repositories directly in Software&Updates/Debian Software

When installing official amdgpu-pro driver from amd site do I have to install before that packages mentioned in this article? Or I just have to install packages of amdgpu-pro driver from amd site and that’s it?

I also had to turn off Secure Boot - Debian 10 could load with Secure Boot turned on, but it would not load the AMD driver.

Black screen, nice! Thank you

Unlucky, discovered too late my GPU is AMD 7670 (Terascale architecture), just before the Graphic Core Next architecture, so no ‘amdgpu’ driver support, no vulkan, it is only the opensource radeon now, as the proprietary catalyst is not compatible with debian newer than 8.0…
But congrats in the article, very clean and straightforward.

1 Like

Do we have to configure the grub? Cuz i tried this and still black screen. Im using a Wani R5/r6/r7 card its an integrated card or onboard