A big part of the issue was that I didn’t know what questions to ask, because I didn’t know what the problem was. I did a lot of searches along the lines of “Linux lockups amd”, and such. When I first built this computer it was a bugger to get stable, because my particular mobo doesn’t like having it’s ram maxxed out, which I did. It’s also overclocked. So I wondered if perhaps Linux was showing up stability issues that weren’t evident on Windows because Windows is so inherently unstable.
I honestly don’t know what the exact search was that brought me to this page but it may well have been along the lines of what you suggested. I can’t even remember what exactly it was I was looking for at the time. All I know is that the page tweaked my curiosity and I checked to make sure I had all the packages you list installed. I’m extremely happy I did that. 11 days now without a lockup. I think that’s either a record since I switched to Linux in December, or close to it.
I also know that when I first built my system I put a ton of effort into the overclocking and making sure it was rock solid stable. So the idea that it still wasn’t stable was pretty discouraging. But of course, whenever you experience stability issues, and you overclock, that’s the easy answer, no matter how much effort you’ve put into it.
What I am going to look into is seeing how I can get a note to developers to make them aware that perhaps they need to add some packages to their dependency lists for those drivers, because what I have experienced certainly gives me the opinion that those packages should be dependencies, and not just recommends, if they were even that.