How to install the latest Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus - LinuxConfig.org

The following tutorial will guide you through all steps required to install VGA NVIDIA driver on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus Linux. Let's start by detecting your NVIDIA VGA card model. Open terminal and enter a following linux command:
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-the-latest-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus

cyberaxe

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Yudi Kurniawan

It keep asking me to insert the lubuntu disk, the error are like this : Media change: please insert the disc labeled
‘Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS Xenial Xerus - Release amd64 (20170801)’
in the drive ‘/media/cdrom/’ and press [Enter]

Is there something wrong with my lubuntu version or something?
Please kindly help.

Lubos Rendek -> Yudi Kurniawan
Hi Yudi,

simply edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and remove/comment lines starting with “deb cdrom:”. Save the file and enter command $ sudo apt-get update

Hope this helps…

Lubos

Yudi Kurniawan -> Lubos Rendek

It’s working, thanks for the quick reply Lubos :smiley:

Lubos Rendek -> Yudi Kurniawan

No problem…!!!

bahare

hello
when i run

lspci -vnn | grep VGA

i cant see my graphic card model in output.

i’m worried that there was a problem with my system.

could you help me please

theone

Maybe you have to add the following ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

then you can install the driver

sudo apt-get install nvidia-390

Reflux -> theone

This was necessary on xenial

ciro santoro -> theone

thank you for the additional information

Rodrigo Principe

I use Mint 18 MATE; I have a nVidia 9500 GT; I have chosen nvidia-340 and after reboot, when I run >> lshw -c video It says: driver=nouveau. I also run >> lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep ‘in use’ And it says: Kernel driver in use: nouveau. Why!?

Jonathan Greenwood

Thanks for posting. Very useful information. I was using the nouveau driver with my Kubuntu 16.x version and found it to be slow and clunky. After reading through your post I have now managed to switch to using the native NVidia driver 340.102 for my GT218 [GeForce 210] graphics card and can see its using direct acceleration. Much more responsive. For anyone else out there I’m using a ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5GHz CPU and 32Gb DDR3 1333MHz RAM. I also found M. Mikowski’s Kubuntu Preferred Apps Google Sheet very useful.

Evgeniy Dolzhenko -> Jonathan Greenwood

Can confirm 340 driver works with GT218 [GeForce 210], thanks!

Austint30

~$ sudo apt install nvidia-319
[sudo] password for austin: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree 
Reading state information... Done
Package nvidia-319 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'nvidia-319' has no installation candidate

Help?

I’m trying to install this driver which supports my GTX 760.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-319.32-driver

lamino91

After installing the driver, I get the infinite login problem. Is this due to Secure Boot? Is there a fix for that?

Drew -> lamino91

I followed these instructions and my drivers appeared to install correctly, however, after reboot, I got a GUI message “Could not configure your display device” and my keyboard wouldnt work to hit “OK”. I rebooted again and my machine froze before getting to GUI. Booting into Recovery mode caused the infinite login problem at Ubuntu’s login prompt. I had to boot into a previous kernel, and do a sudo apt-get remove nvidia-378, and then rebooted into my current kernel to regain control of my system.

I’m using Ubuntu 16.04.2 and kernel 4.8 with a Geforce 1050 on a Dell XPS 15

Daniel

Is there any real reason Nvidia doesn’t want to open up their driver?
I can only think about the spyware they’re hiding in there.
For someone who wants to be free Nvidia is never a good choice.

Scott Ricketts -> Daniel

Their drivers use patented code from other vendors they don’t have the ability to open source. The OpenGL implementation for example has stuff they’ve licensed. They’ve made this point now for literally decades since they first started making the only drivers worth using if you intend on playing games.

Elf55

Fixed my problem running an Ion chip under Ubuntu 16.04 after a system upgrade. Thanks.

Ignacio Julián García Díaz

THANKS P0WERFUL HELP…PARA L0S K N0 LES VAYA HAY K C0NFIGURAR LA BI0S LA SALIDA DE LA TARJETA DE VIDE0 Y0 L0 TENG0 EN AVANCED EN CHIPSET Y LE HE PUEST0 PCI EXPRESS