How to install VMware Workstation on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install VMware Workstation PRO on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-vmware-workstation-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux

Thanks for the installation guide! I recently had to reimage a laptop and upgraded from Kubuntu 19.04 to Ubuntu (regular Gnome type) 20.04 and realized that my VMware Workstation 15.1 might be the reason my install was running into issues. It turns out that 15.5 installs much better on 20.04 but there is one important thing missing from your install guide for those of us who use secure boot:

First this is for VMWare 15 and Ubuntu 18.04 (also 19.04 and 20.04)
1. Install VMWare (follow guide from related discussion)
2. Run this
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

You'll see that there are issues with monitor and net, that's ok.
3. Generate a key 
openssl req -new -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout VMWARE15.priv -outform DER -out VMWARE15.der -nodes -days 36500 -subj "/CN=VMWARE/"

You'll see info that it did it ok.
4. Install the drivers modules 
sudo /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./VMWARE15.priv ./VMWARE15.der $(modinfo -n vmmon)

sudo /usr/src/linux-headers-(uname -r)/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./VMWARE15.priv ./VMWARE15.der (modinfo -n vmnet)

This does not give any feedback
5. Check the modules installed
tail $(modinfo -n vmmon) | grep "Module signature appended"

You should get Binary file (standard input) matches
6. Have key signed on reboot (do not reboot yet)
sudo mokutil --import VMWARE15.der

This will ask you for a password, enter some new password a bit long like 1515vmware. Reenter same password
7. Reboot, When reboot you should be presented with a menu with blue screen background, you have to make your way to enroll the key and enter the password you just created, this happens only once, then continue to boot / reboot.
8. To test the driver / module installed correctly enter the command 
mokutil --test-key VMWARE15.der

You should get VMWARE15.der is already enrolled and that means VMWare should be working.

I found the above guide somewhere a while back and saved it to OneNote. If you’re the original contributor or know who is, please provide credit. The above is something I have only tested on my Dell Precision 5520. Hope this helps!

Wanna know more about MOK and how Ubuntu implements secure boot? Check out the Ubuntu wiki page (I’m new so can’t post it).