How to setup FTP server on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver with VSFTPD - LinuxConfig.org

In case you have UFW firewall enabled, execute the bellow command to allow incoming traffic to FTP ports:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-setup-ftp-server-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-with-vsftpd

John Kruijt

Hi There! I have setup vsftpd as you have shown in this tutorial, for
which I thank you. I can download files from the Ubuntu PC to my Windows
PC. So far so good…but uploading gives an 550 Permission denied.
I login using filezilla with the user I have installed the vsftpd with so
I should able to write and create in the document folder of this
user…it is still not successful…Please advise…

BobyMike

Hi There! Thank you for this tutorial, very very useful. Unfortunately there are some issues: i installed accordingly on two different servers, but i get the same error…which is not even an error…
The symptom is like this: i am able to download large .iso file from the ftp server, but once it is 100% downloaded, it stops and i get the error on the client side: network error. Any ideas ?

hello works fine my problem is that dont let fillezilla to go into the root.

I folow this step by step bus vsftpd service did not start.

$ sudo systemctl status vsftpd.service 
● vsftpd.service - vsftpd FTP server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/vsftpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-11-27 22:47:55 -03; 3s ago
  Process: 745 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/vsftpd /etc/vsftpd.conf (code=exited, status=2)
  Process: 744 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /var/run/vsftpd/empty (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 745 (code=exited, status=2)

nov 27 22:47:55 vsprftp02 systemd[1]: Starting vsftpd FTP server...
nov 27 22:47:55 vsprftp02 systemd[1]: Started vsftpd FTP server.
nov 27 22:47:55 vsprftp02 systemd[1]: vsftpd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
nov 27 22:47:55 vsprftp02 systemd[1]: vsftpd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

How can I determine the invalid argument?