How To Upgrade To Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver - LinuxConfig.org

Rhein Ouaiffe -> Arancaytar

That is not correct. Read this to learn the correct answer:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/125392/why-is-no-new-release-found-when-upgrading-from-a-lts-to-the-next

MnemonicCarrier

If you have an Nvidia Optimus laptop, I would seriously consider postponing upgrading to 18.04 at this point in time. Things are quite messy: some Nvidia packages are no longer installed by default, and it’s not possible to power down the Nvidia GPU if you switch to the Intel GPU (sudo prime-select intel). The only thing I need at the moment is the ability to power down the Nvidia GPU when in Intel GPU mode (to extend battery life), but this just isn’t possible.

Shamane Siriwardhana -> MnemonicCarrier

same thing happen to me. I am using Allienware 13.

Konstantin -> Shamane Siriwardhana

omg thank you guys!!

Philippe Bigeat

no new release found.

Paul -> Philippe Bigeat

If you’re on 16.04.4 then it will not find new releases until 18.04.1 comes out in July (this is always true). If you really want to update now, the article says to use “sudo do-release-upgrade -d”. I just did this and it works.

Petru Marginean

The same here: “no new release found”

TX

I guess fixing the text in this article to be accurate as noted below is not important.

aiphee

Second “sudo apt dist-upgrade” should be “sudo apt autoremove”

David Orozco -> aiphee

I tend to use

sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

Mark Foster -> aiphee

or sudo apt autoremove --purge

The upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 sucked. I wanted to just let it go. After 1 day I returned to the console to see a message that systemd-shim did not work. And my only resolution was to acknowledge that I had seen the message and continue with the failed install. Then the next time it was a different error, with the same non-options. 4 errors later and 3 elapsed days, it was finally complete. Then I had to research each error and retry the install. Really - if there is no resolution, why do you pause the install and drag it out indefinitely instead of just writing it to a log? Who was the brainchild behind that failed process???