How To Upgrade Ubuntu To 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa - LinuxConfig.org

Run your Ubuntu Update

Before you do anything, make sure that your system is already up-to-date. Run a full Ubuntu update and upgrade with Apt.
$ sudo apt update 
$ sudo apt upgrade
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
This will help to ensure that the difference between packages is as small as possible. It also will be the way that Canonical has most likely tested the upgrade themselves, so it's least likely to encounter bugs. Lastly, before you begin to upgrade Ubuntu to 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa you may also want to remove all no longer required packages using:
$ sudo apt autoremove
[https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-to-20-04-lts-focal-fossa](https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-to-20-04-lts-focal-fossa)
2 Likes

Will I lose data if I do this?

1 Like

Hi lgridsaffan,

Welcome to our forums.

If something goes wrong, you may loose data, as is the case with any upgrade. Always make backup of important data before doing an upgrade.

Believe it very important to clarify that 20.04 is in BETA and the official LTS release date isn’t until April 23rd. Clarify as in replace LTS with the word BETA in this article. There are a number of issues with 20.04 beta that cause issues.

Hi guys

Can I upgrade from Ubuntu 18.10 to Ubuntu 20.04??

Is it possible?

Hi Omni_CKQU,

Welcome to our forums.

Upgrading from 18.10 to 20.04 directly may work in theory, but haven’t been tested, so you are safer with upgrading Ubuntu 18.10 to 19.10 first, and upgrade to 20.04 from there.

What’s the best way to upgrade fro 20.04 beta to the finial release ?

All you need is to simply update packages on your current system:

$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade

All done.

I did that before posting:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

After I got
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
?!
Maybe repo is not ready yet ?

Then you should be all good. Just check your Ubuntu version. You should see something like:

$ lsb_release -crid
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

If you still would be on beta you will see the following instead:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu Focal Fossa (development branch)
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

Note the above (development branch) for beta version.

In the image at the end of the article, I notice that Gnome is still 3.34 even after the update to ubuntu 20.04. Any idea how to upgrade to 3.36?

Thanks

Just a little reminder that Debian does rolling firmware updates, and you could loose data if you allow firmware patches to your machine. To avoid these updates you can add kernel parameters to your linuz boot menu using expert mode >> e “- -dis_ucde-ldr” and to also blacklist and modules “modprobe” that might try to take control of your system. My configuration blacklist follows as an example," cd /etc/modprobe.d && cat blacklist.conf

dlb 18-feb-2020 sample blacklist.conf

blacklist micro code updates

blacklist microcode
blacklist ucode
blacklist firmware-update

evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly

blacklist evbug

replaced by b43 and ssb.

blacklist bcm43xx

Just a little reminder that Debian does rolling firmware updates, and you could loose data if you allow firmware patches to your machine. To avoid these updates you can add kernel parameters to your linuz boot menu using expert mode >> e “- -dis_ucode-ldr” and to also blacklist and modules “modprobe” that might try to take control of your system. My configuration blacklist follows as an example," cd /etc/modprobe.d && cat blacklist.conf
dlb 18-feb-2020 sample blacklist.conf
blacklist micro code updates
blacklist microcode
blacklist ucode
blacklist firmware-update
evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug
replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx
{cat mesg was truncated}

Just been reading about doing a customized kernel using firmware patches that wont clobber your hardware cos of poorly written drivers, or a Spectra work around. lets face it if your PC is old auto-update isn’t going to work in this new era. You might have to use a custom firmware payload. Here’s proof see git.kernel-dot org /pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/