Howto mount USB drive in Linux - LinuxConfig.org

Hi Alexandru_Groza,

Welcome to our forums.

This article is about how to mount an USB drive, what it has to do with Octoprint, which I understand is a Web interface to 3D printers? Namely, what did you change, and where when it stopped working?

Hy, i was installing the hard drive on my raspberry pi that has octoprint instaled on it. the problem was when i modified the /etc/fstab i couldn’t get my rpb pi boot normaly. I resolved the problem by deleting what i modified in that file using vi.

I see. I’m happy your boot issue is resolved. Maybe you made a typo in the fstab file, or mounted the hard drive to a wrong place?

The line for the permanent mount has an error:

Is:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/8765-4321 /media/usb-drive vfat 0 0

Should be:
/dev/disk/by-uuid/8765-4321 /media/usb-drive vfat defaults 0 0

When connecting a WD Mybook5000 h032 to my Raspi 4 running latest os 12/2020, I am seeing the mybook in devices on the desktop. When selected, the above error.is displayed. I have looked for it in a terminal window but cannot find it using the guidance in this thread. Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi Wxdave,

Welcome to our forums.

Just a tip on my part: did you connect the external device to the same USB version connector as the device is (say, USB 2 vs 3)?

Also, do you see the device in the list provided by lsusb on the terminal?

Both my Ubuntu Mate and Mint Mate installations use the program udisks2 to automatically mount USB and external hard drives. I have never had a problem with them mounting automatically. Gnome-disk-utility and gparted can also help with this too.

The udisks daemon serves as an interface to system block devices,
implemented via D-Bus. It handles operations such as querying, mounting,
unmounting, formatting, or detaching storage devices such as hard disks
or USB thumb drives.