Hung Linux System? How to Escape to the Command Line and More - LinuxConfig.org

It is not much fun when your Desktop hangs. The fear of lost work, the inability to continue work, and more. But it need not always be like this. Knowing just a little extra - a few shortcut keyboard combinations and a few commands at the command line - will hopefully get you back up and running quickly. It does not always work, but it works often.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/hung-linux-system-how-to-escape-to-the-command-line-and-more

I usually end up hard booting, not much else seems to work in the long run.

My problem is not about total hung. I got to the point where I have to enter login password. Entered correct password as usual, after a while it comes back to the same page (login password). No error message. This happened on restart after I installed a new driver for AMD GPU on Ubuntu 20.04. Thank you

Hi Ramorado,

Welcome to our forums.

Since you mentioned the driver install, did you try reverting to the last working driver, to know for sure the problem is related to the new driver?

I was not able to try anything because I cannot login. It keeps going back to the login page after entering password.

You can try to switch to a command line console, and check for errors and change drivers. You can do so by pressing CTRL+ALT+F3 for example.

Hi Sandmann,

That key-sequence works. I was able to login via command line. I will try if I can figure out the error log.

I’ll let you know of final outcome.

Thank you so much.

Ropberto Amoroso

Hi Sandmann,

It looks more complicated than I thought.

I am trying to build a crypto miner rig using Intel-based gigabyte motherboard, Ubuntu 20.04 O/S and AMD RX5700XT GPUs.
I just realized I need to know Linux PRIME for GPU Offloading, I have to decide whether to use AMD open-source driver (amdgpu) or proprietary driver (amdgpu-pro) and which driver does the application itself (ETHMINER) will support.

It might be a while before I can figure it out but would appreciate to know if you have experience in all these.

Thank you

Roberto Amoroso

Hi Sandmann,

That key-sequence works. I was able to login via command line. I will try if I can figure out the error log.

I’ll let you know of final outcome.

Thank you so much.

Ropberto Amoroso

I haven’t built a mining machine myself, so I can’t help much with that. But I would advise to run the mining system without GUI, that is, in multi-user mode without graphical interface. Why? Because drawing a graphical interface takes resources constantly from the system, which aren’t used in a meaningful way, since you can control your mining software from the console or by remote connection.

On the topic of which driver would be better, I would check around the site of ethminer, or maybe ask the dev team about it.

Thank you. I will follow your advice

Roberto Amoroso