Install Drupal on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org

The objective is to install Drupal on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux. Let's start by installing prerequisites. For the Drupal installation we will need curl and tasksel command. The following linux command will install both:
$ sudo apt install -y curl tasksel

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/install-drupal-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

New to Drupal. Followed the tutorial but when i got to Database Configuration in the wizard it threw up lots of warnings.
Failed to connect to your database server. The server reports the following message: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2054] The server requested authentication method unknown to the client.

Is the database server running?
Does the database exist or does the database user have sufficient privileges to create the database?
Have you entered the correct database name?
Have you entered the correct username and password?
Have you entered the correct database hostname?

I checked the above so am at a loss as to what to do to proceed. Anyone else hit this problem and found a fix?

Hi Roy_Woodhead,

Welcome to our forums.

Did you completed the Configure Database section in the guide? If so, are you able to connect to the database with the credentials you set?

To verify that, you can use the following syntax from the command line:

mysql -u <username> -p <password> -h <hostname/IP address>

You’ll need to provide the parameters you set at database setup.

The installer most likely provides these errors because it can’t connect to the database.

I’d suggest test database connectivity, and share the results with us, so we can investigate the issue further.

Sandmann