Linux lvm - Logical Volume Manager - LinuxConfig.org

This article describes a basic logic behind a Linux logical volume manager by showing real examples of configuration and usage. Although Debian Linux will be used for this tutorial, you can also apply the same command line syntax with other Linux distributions such as Red Hat, Mandriva, SuSe Linux and others.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/linux-lvm-logical-volume-manager

Senthilkumar

Thanks for such kind of articles it’s really necessary for me to solve the issue

Optimist

Thank you for writing this article. Really helped me to solve a huge issue.

RedPlumpTomato

Excellent article! I’m new to Linux and this really saved my arse!! Thanks again!!

Just one piece of advice. For physical volumes you need block devices. That means that you can make a whole disk a physical volume. Why do this? This would allow you to move blocks away from the pv to other pvs of a vg and actually pull and replace the drive.

So rather than making a partitions into PVs, I’d recommend using whole disk (/dev/sdb) instead.

(where applicable, that is, where you have whole drives, especially true of hypervisors virtual disks)

Maybe this is just for demonstration purposes.

My tip would be, if you don’t even have actual physical hard disks or partitions to play, you can use loop devices. (though setting them up in fstab would be trickier than normal)