Logon screen settings

I know this seems like a weird question, and the answer is probably something way too complicated to get done by my numbskull, but how do I ‘tweak’ my logon/login screen setting to NOT go ‘blank’ a couple of seconds after it comes up, but to instead stay on for say 15, 30, etc. minutes instead before going ‘blank’ (ie log-in screen saver mode?) or even not go blank at all?

Does this when going to logon/login screen after logging out user - the logon/login screen when you initially boot-up stays on for awhile (seems booting up delays the ‘screen blanking’), but if you login user then log out and go to it, it does this ~ there for like a few seconds then blank…

Using Ubuntu 18.04.3LTS 32-bit

FYI - I did manage to change the logon screen background successfully (after crashing the whole system TWICE and going into a panic before learning to use nano and not gedit at the grub’s recovery mode ROOT prompt…then resolving other nutty things I was doing wrong) :wink:

Have you tried to add the following in the /etc/default/grub:
consoleblank=0

for example as:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash consoleblank=0

Make sure to run:
$ sudo update-grub

Once you make the change.

My line looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash pci=nomsi
resume=UUID=cc68…(bunch of stuff)…8269” … where do I put the “consoleblank=0”?

You can put it between splash and resume= so you don’t need to search too far for it, when needed next time.

added it like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash consoleblank=0 pci=nomsi
resume=UUID=cc68…(bunch of stuff)…8269”, updated grub, rebooted - but didn’t help… still blanks logon screen after a few seconds :-\

Installed ‘Gnome Tweak Tool’ hoping it had some means to delay or shut off the screen blanking feature of the login screen, which it did not…then somehow it got determined I’m using GDM3 ~ not sure how helpful that info was supposed to be ~ but the Gnome Display Manager Reference Manual at:: help.gnome. org / admin / gdm/ 3.26 / gdm. html, didn’t seem to address this issue :-\

Googled a bit about this, not much information to be found, only the same question, unanswered. Have you tried org.gnome.desktop.screensaver.idle-activation-enabled set to false with dconf-editor?

installed the editor, setting choice was on/off, not true/false… was on “ON” so set to “OFF”… will let ya know if it works.

Seems this thing is some kinda registry editor - scares the heck outta me, but threw-up and proceeded on… (after all, I DO have an image done using Ghost For Linux a week ago I can use if things crash)

Seemed at first to have worked, but still doing the same thing - thanks for trying Sandmann…

You may ask ‘why was it important to this lady for the login screen to not blank?’ - well, I usually cut on the computer and wander off while it does it’s boot-up thing, then when I wander by and see it waiting and ready, I’ll get on it and do what I need to do (email, browse, etc.) ~ but, if I wander by and it is blank, I assume it isn’t on and just keep on wanderin’ by, sometimes leaving it in the blanked login screen for hours or even days.

Did you tried to disable power saving features in Gnome altogether?

Not sure how to do that - is it in the normal settings somewhere? Or do I look in Dconf Editor to do it…

Hi @Major,

have you tried the following:

and

Under ‘POWER’, my blank screen is already set at ‘never’

Under ‘PRIVACY’, my screen looks nothing like what you show… there’s no menu with ‘SCREENLOCK’

I’m using Ubuntu 18.04.4LTS with Gnome, not unity (or weyland) desktop, and the 4.15.0-70 generic kernel…