One of your articles is premature

There is a very well written document on your site:
ubuntu-upgrade-to-24-04-noble-numbat-a-step-by-step-howto-guide#more-20392

The only problem is that 24.04 won’t be out until April 25th, 2024 and it’s Jan 13th 2024.

Hello. :slightly_smiling_face: :v:t2:

As detailed here, Ubuntu 24.04’s stable release is indeed scheduled for 2024-04-25. However, you can still install its testing (i.e. development or pre-release) release, which at this point (2024-01-15) is already available (I am typing this text from the testing release of XUbuntu 24.04 “Noble Numbat”).

If you take a closer look at the article’s Step 7, it mentions that if sudo do-release-upgrade returns no release number, then the stable release of Ubuntu version 24.04 isn’t available yet but you can still add the -d option/switch (i.e. sudo do-release-upgrade -d) in order to upgrade to a version that hasn’t been officially released yet, i.e. it allows you to access and install the development version or a pre-release of the software. This can be useful for testing new features in advance, but be aware that pre-release versions may not be as stable as the official releases. :wink:

You can check this option on the command’s manpage (man do-release-upgrade or info do-release-upgrade):

-d, –devel-release
If using the latest supported release, upgrade to the development release

1 Like