Razer Core X eGPU and Linux Desktop

I wonder if I can ask you more about your experience with the Razer CoreX and Linux. It seem that you are extremely happy with it.

• Do you use it with multiple monitors?
  • Did you notice that it works with some Linux distro better than the other?
  • Any issues when disconnecting and connecting thunderbolt cable while the linux system is running?

Just considering at this stage if replace my current dock :slight_smile:

thank you

Regarding Razer Core X I use it interchangeably with HP G2 Dock. It has nVidia 2080 Ti onboard.
Actually that is my new toy and I barely started to use it. Ubuntu 19.04 and 19.10 had serious problems to recognize it correctly: I had a number of issues related to non-signed “something” and invalid certificates in dmesg. Cannot recall it now but the clue is it was not working with 19.xx at all even if recognised by the system. I didn’t test it with 18.04, but I’ve read people state it works.
Under 20.04 it works OK as directly connected. Yoga has an only single Thunderbolt port, I was hoping to connect it as daisy chain to the HP G2 dock (yes it is possible) but the throughput of the G2 dock is not enough to handle PCI-X monster GPU and you cannot use it this way. Even if they seem to wake up, the message in dmesg is:

[ 898.469440] pci 0000:10:00.0: 8.000 Gb/s available PCIe bandwidth, limited by 2.5 GT/s x4 link at 0000:08:01.0 (capable of 31.504 Gb/s with 8 GT/s x4 link)

So I assume this is a physical limitation to connect both to a single Thunderbolt port. Thus I only have a choice to connect HP G2 or RazerX, not both.

Regarding Razer itself, I made it to install proprietary Nvidia drivers and run an external monitor. I believe it is possible to use more than one but I was struggling to run notebook’s display and external monitor parallel as they use separate GPUs (internal is integrated Intel, external is Nvidia) and you need to run complex, double X11 configuration. Didn’t have time to make deep research here, however, I do not really need one, as all I need is to use Nvidia as computing for deep learning that works well without the need to use it as a display.
In such configuration, I use integrated GPU to render Ubuntu and Nvidia is just for computing, not for display. Anyway, the external monitor (if connected) remains blank with … mouse cursor on it ;-). Pretty funny, because it seems like extended desktop works but there is no x-windows server active, to render a single thing. Even if you move a window to it, it just disappears. I read somewhere there is a solution to this problem, didn’t try it yet as not in my priority list.

Just to read your question right: what do you mean by “multiple monitors”? You mean Notebook + external or more than one external connected to Nvidia?

Regards,

P.

My goal would be to disable notebook screen and connect 3 other monitors. What I understand, it largely depends on the graphic card used and number of available ports at the back.

With my current Lenovo thunderbolt dock this is a rather easy task and a clean setup as there is no need to to play with any configuration files as you portray. It is simple job via Display Configuration ( KDE ) The only limitation of Lenovo dock is that it supports only 3 monitors simultaneously.

Thank you for the information…

With my current Lenovo thunderbolt dock this is a rather easy task and a clean setup as there is no need to to play with any configuration files as you portray. It is simple job via Display Configuration ( KDE ) The only limitation of Lenovo dock is that it supports only 3 monitors simultaneously.

Right. But please note, your Thunderbolt dock is then just a natural extension for the integrated graphics onboard of your computer, same as you simply plug in USB-C to HDMI/DVI converter. There is no extra GPU in the dock I guess, is there?

In the case of eGPU that is a different story, as your integrated GPU has no direct connection to the eGPU thus they must run separate x servers. If you plan to use ONLY external ones then you’re limited only by GPU capabilities and number of outputs on the eGPU. You may refer to the particular manufacturer and model to see its capabilities. I’ve got 2080 Ti from MSI and it has 3xDP + 1HDMI + USB-C, but I believe you cannot use them all at once. So that is not a “dock” nor Thunderbolt related question but GPU (here eGPU) that you put inside your Razer.

I just read 4 monitors work with ease, questionable is if you can connect fifth via USB-C.
Note it also depends on your monitors’ resolution. I’m in doubt if you will be able to handle 4x4k simultaneously…

Regards,

P.