Screen taring in Ubuntu when connected to the GIGABYTE RTX 4090 through HDMI... but only sometimes?

The title says it all.
Screen taring occurs when the monitor is hooked up to one of the HDMI ports of the graphics card, but only sometimes.
But as a videographer, screen taring occurring once is already enough.
I haven’t tested the full capabilities of the graphics card yet as it already occurs when watching a movie using VLC media player.
Sometimes when I restart the computer, the screen taring seems to be gone.
But who knows when it occurs again.
The tare is horizontal, roughly in the middle of the screen. Perhaps, slightly above the middle.
I would very much like to get rid of it.
If someone can help me, that would be great.

Hey there! Screen tearing can be super annoying, especially when you’re trying to get that perfect video playback. It sounds like your HDMI connection or graphics settings might be the culprits here. I’d suggest first making sure your HDMI cable is snug on both ends, or maybe even try a different cable to see if that fixes it. Also, tweaking your graphics settings could help. Enable V-Sync in your GPU settings or directly in VLC (if that’s where you’re seeing the tear). This syncs up the frame rate of the video to your monitor’s refresh rate, which should help eliminate tearing.

Here’s a quick checklist to run through:

• Check Connections: Make sure the HDMI cable is securely connected and in good condition. Try swapping it out if you have an extra.
  • Enable V-Sync: You can find this setting in your GPU control panel (like NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Radeon Settings) or within VLC’s video settings.
  • Update Graphics Drivers: Head over to your GPU manufacturer’s website to download the latest drivers.
  • Adjust Refresh Rate: Match your monitor’s refresh rate with your video playback’s frame rate in your display settings.
  • Monitor Settings Check: Make sure your monitor configuration is set to its optimal settings and is not in a weird preset mode that could be causing issues.
  • Use Different Port: Sometimes a different HDMI port on your graphics card can make a difference.
  • System and Software Updates: Keep your operating system and VLC player updated.

Give these a shot and hopefully, you’ll get rid of that pesky screen tearing once and for all!