Trying to restore router to factory settings. Tutorial suggested to use Linux for it

Hi,

Some time ago I patched a few Linksys WRT54GL modems to use as a mesh node. Now I want to restore them back to the Original settings.
I downloaded the Original Bin file, but du to changes made in the flash program I cant use the normal options to patch them back to factory settings.
The patched program won’t let me upload the original bin file so I need to use the options of a TFTP upload. Therefor I need the modem to boot and use a 3 seconds window to acces the modem and upload the bin file.
Using windows is a bit of a problem. It’s to busy assinging a LAN port during the time I have to acces the modem. The tutorial I follow suggested to use Linux for it.
I have absolutely zero experience using Linux so I really need some help here.
The tutorial mentiond that i run a script in Linux (section Installing firmware with tftp).
How can I do that using Linux? As mentioned earlier, I have totally no experience in the use of Linux.

Rob

Hi Rob,

the simplest way to run script as linux beginner would be:
[ol]
[li]use some sort of text editor and save the script as file in your home directory eg. myscript.sh ( filename extension is not important ) [/li][li]open terminal using menu ( xtern, terminal, konsole etc. ). Use cd command to navigate to your home directory if required [/li][li]make your script executable using chmod command [/li][li]run command ./myscript.sh to start your script [/li][/ol]

Here is what you should see in your terminal:

$ cd your/directory/name/with/saved/script
$ chmod +x myscript.sh
$ ./myscript.sh

And you are done. Furthermore, it would be worth to learn somebash scripting basics.

hope this helps…Let me know if you need more help…

Lubos

Thnx Irendek, Easy to follow instructions. I give it a try.
I will look into the bash scripting basics too.

Thanks for such useful instructions