Virtualbox: install guest additions on Redhat 8 - LinuxConfig.org

That may be the point, because I have a 8.1 running happily in VirtualBox with working guest additions. You may want to update virtualbox, that may help.

I have the exact same error; value error ! What am I supposed to do?

Same here. New installation of RHEL 8.2, kernel 4.18.0-193, VBox 6.0.20.
Guest additions will not install with the exact messages as above.

Nir.

Just waiting for Vbox to catch up. No other option by the look of it.

I had that kind of problems with CentOS 8, but all works, you have that issue because you are using minimal installation, without standard set of packages…so missing tar, bzip2, etc… Install these and it will work:
yum install kernel kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc make perl elfutils-libelf-devel bzip2 tar -y

Month later, latest versions from both VirtualBox 6.1.16 r140961 (Qt5.6.2) and CentOS-8.3.2011 still the same problems. Even straight booting a vm from the iso 8.3 does not work. Workaround by installing CentOS-8.2.2004, upgrading and rebooting in the 8.2 kernel.

Creating the vboxguest module and siblings for kernel 4.18.0-240.1.1.el8_3 results in “ValueError: File context for /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-6.1.16/other/mount.vboxsf already defined”.

Hi @Jan_de_Haan
I was having the same problem as you above: “ValueError: File context for /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-6.1.16/other/mount.vboxsf already defined”

Another page solved my issue with the following commands:

sudo dnf -y install gcc automake make kernel-headers dkms bzip2 libxcrypt-compat kernel-devel perl
sudo semanage fcontext -d /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-/other/mount.vboxsf
sudo restorecon /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-/other/mount.vboxsf

And then retry the installation

For reference, the post was from ‘technologytales’ (I can’t share the link here as a new user). I hope that helps.