Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds

I turned on the PC today…I got this message:

Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe session to see if you can fix this problem.

My only option is to click OK, which just displays the same message. I can’t get to terminal, or do anything.

Do I need a new hard drive or something along those lines? Reload? It’s in Linux Mint.

Hi Larry,

Is it a possibility that you are indeed out of free space on that PC? If so, that can cause a lot of problems.

For starters, did you try to ssh into your machine? If you can log in, you can check your disk usage with the df command.

I’m in complete agreement, even before I posted. It’s just a 80 gig, and kind of old. I get old computers from people who are taking them in for recycling, if I can’t get them running or they are hopeless junk I save the nuts & screws and then recycle them.
Gives this old boy something to do.
Thank You

What I meant is if the disk is full, it explains why you can’t run a graphical session correctly. If you can free up some space, you can make the graphical session work.

Yes, I understood. Thing is, I can’t key in anything. If I click OK with the mouse, it just loops right back to same error message.
I’m Okay with getting a bigger hard drive. This one is just 80 gig… huge when computer was made. I’ll turn it into a slave, order a bigger one from my pals at Amazon… Only like $25 for a 350gb.