How to install AMDGPU drivers on Debian 9 Stretch Linux - LinuxConfig.org

So, you've got an AMD GPU, and you want to use it on Debian Stretch. Well, you're actually in luck. Installing the open source AMD drivers on Debian Stretch may just be the easiest and simplest install process in the history of Linux graphics drivers. Anyone who tried to install the open source AMDGPU drivers when they first launched alongside AMD's Polaris cards will tell you that the process is long and painful, and they were right. Now, all of the packages required have entered the mainstream, and most are actually installed by default with your Debian Stretch installation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-amdgpu-drivers-on-debian-9-stretch-linux

NOTE: SOME OF THE POSTS BELOW ARE TRANSFERRED FROM LINUXCONFIG DISQUS COMMENTS.

Zibgnew Opinionski

If you installed kernel 4.16, do not use this information. You will hang during boot.

Iv

Thanks a lot it seems to work fine.

5.21 is it a good result?

George Chrysanidis

Hey guys really interesting topic, although i couldn’t get my Radeon 8750M to work. I am on a Lenovo G500 with an Intel integrated vga and the Radeon, which is recognised as a Display Controller in lspci. Any ideas about what could i do?
Thanks in advance

PixelBrain

I’ll be darned it worked after scouring hours and hours on the internet for a solution your instructions is the only one that worked. I have a crappy old AMD APU 3500 with the 6000D series GPU. I now have the full range of resolutions instead of being stuck on 800x600 for max res. Thank you

Tomko Kubianca

Of coarse it’s as simple as sticking your thumb up your ass and your index finger in your ear; but of coarse I’m still stuck with a debian9 that DOES NOT RECOGNISE MY VIDEO CARD!!! Your advise did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

“Debian Stretch may just be the easiest and simplest install process in the history of Linux graphics drivers.” and yet…it did not even recognise my video card and I’ve having difficulty installing Catalyst.

so “the easiest and simplest install process in the history of Linux graphics drivers.” might be a STRETCH. Maybe that’s why they named it STRETCH.

Maybe you’re leaving out a point or two. I’m working with PONG graphics, we’re talking 640x480. Any new installation should at least be able to pump up the graphics to a readable level.

z iz
What if my laptop won’t display anything unless I boot with nomodeset? I’m not able to use this amdgpu drivers in this case.

Aure87

I’ve got 2 radeon GPU on my laptop :

lspci | grep VGA
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7660G]
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wimbledon XT [Radeon HD 7970M]

Could I switch to the second card for game? And how?

Pablo González

It is compatible with AMD Rx460 of 4Gb ???

Sławek Grochowski

lspci -nn | grep '\[03'
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics] [1002:9851] (rev 05)

Does not work for me. I got Debian 9. Even using web browser is really frustrating. Any advices?

Floppy Flop

This driver is now working really fine (in GRID Autosport, at least) with R9 270X

It was working really crap in Ubuntu 16.04 (crashes if several GPU app, and catastrophic performances, that were far below the crimson driver, that were already more than catastrophic, I don’t know if you can imagine).

Good new !
On my side, apt-get install firmware-linux was enough.

Antoine Griezmann

The only useful tutorial on the whole Internet about the topic. I have a R9 290 and now I can use it. THANKS.

Pedro -> Antoine Griezmann

Really? I have a hybrid card Amd/Intel running on Ubuntu and i’m using only the integrated card(Intel). i’m considering migrate to debian.

Sergio Rubio Chavarria -> Pedro

It worked for me with no problems. I have a R9 290. I don’t know if it will be valid for your card. Anyway, you can try. This driver is really better than previous ones.

Pedro Phittipaldi dos Santos C -> Sergio Rubio Chavarria

Thank’s Sergio, i’ll try that.

Sergio Rubio Chavarria -> Pedro Phittipaldi dos Santos C

It’s so good that I can play at stable fps games like: CS:GO, Dota 2. Shadow of Mordor (a very demanding game, and it works almost like the windows version), Leaft4Dead 2 (Exactly the same performance than windows version). This is amazing, because I haven’t been able to play any of this games on linux until this driver.

dodoslavn

wow, debian 9 is not out yet, iam using deb 8 right now… question is, migrate or not to migrate

eaman -> dodoslavn

OFC you should migrate

Thank you, now it works!
For my Radeon9 380 I had to install “firmware-amd-graphics (20180825+dfsg-1) [non-free]” additional.

When I do

apt install firmware-linux

on my clean install of Debian Stretch it says

Package firmware-linux is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'firmware-linux' has no installation candidate

Y, tho? :frowning: